Mental health is a topic which is finally being normalized. Years ago, there was an unnecessary stigma associated with mental health which is one of the main reasons why people still, in this day and age, choose to suffer in silence.
While there are drugs and medications available to treat these conditions, many of them do more harm than good. In today’s article, we’re going to take a natural approach to mental health instead by looking at a recipe for turmeric lemonade.
The healing power of turmeric
Turmeric is a rooting plant native to Asia that is predominantly located in India and Indonesia. It is related to ginger, which is obvious when you look at the appearance of the two. They’re both very similar in terms of appearance and health properties.
Turmeric root is ground down into a fine powder to make a wonderfully vibrant golden yellow curry powder that can be used to make marinades, rubs, curries, stews, casseroles, and much more. It can even be used to make tasty and delicious beverages, like the lemonade we’re going to share with you today.
Turmeric has been a staple ingredient in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurvedic medicine for a number of centuries now. Some of the primary healing benefits associated with turmeric include:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Great for the digestive system
- Pain management
- Strengthens the immune system
- Powerful antioxidant properties
- Cognitive health-boosting properties
- And much more…
Turmeric and mental health
When people think of the healing benefits of turmeric, they generally think of its potent anti-inflammatory properties. The fact that it helps fight inflammation is very important in this instance because it has been linked with improved mental health and cognitive function.
Inflammation can negatively impact how your brain functions due to the fact that it can negatively affect hormones and neurotransmitters which play an important role in lifting your spirits. There’s a lot of science to it, but to keep things basic we’ll give you a quick overview.
When you suffer with inflammation, your body produces a stress hormone known as cortisol. Cortisol reduces the amount of serotonin you produce, which is a chemical responsible for feelings of happiness and relaxation. The less you produce, the lower you feel. The healing properties of turmeric help to prevent this from happening.
Stress-busting turmeric lemonade recipe
Now that we know what turmeric does to the brain and body, it’s now time to look at how you can get more inside your body. This lemonade is delicious, is full of vitamin C and antioxidants, and is super-healthy.
- 5 level cups of water
- 2 tsp of freshly grated ginger (not powdered)
- 4 tbsp of freshly ground turmeric root
- 3 heaped tbsp of natural raw honey
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup of fresh lemon juice
- Bring the water up to a gentle boil
- Take your ginger and turmeric, place into a sterile glass jar, and fill with the boiling water
- Leave to steep for at least 15 minutes
- Add the honey and stir until fully dissolved
- Strain your mixture carefully to remove any lumps
- Add the lemon juice and orange juice, screw the lid on tight, and leave to cool in the fridge
- Serve over ice with a slice of fresh lemon or lime, and enjoy.